5 Surprising & Refreshing Ideas to help you Deal with Self Doubt
- January 9, 2017
- Posted by: Sarah Ford
- Category: Business Strategy, Overcoming Self Doubt, Small business
A key barrier for many small businesses is self doubt. At Bluefish, our New Years’ Resolution is to help GROW more Small & Medium Businesses… so here are 5 Effective Ideas to Help you Deal with Self Doubt from our Guest Blogger, Change Agent Jaemin Frazer.
Stepping out and starting your own business is one of the most exciting and challenging things you could ever do in life. So much opportunity and so many obstacles at the same time!
One of the most painful and powerful of these obstacles to success is definitely your own self doubt. Here are 5 key ideas to help you to deal with it effectively.
- Accept that self doubt it is a natural and healthy.The only people who have no self doubt are those who have already given up on themselves and life. These people have opted for the relative safety of bunkering down into their comfort zone. They refuse to venture into anything new, different or risky. If you are experiencing any self doubt, it proves you are having a go and that you are pushing the edges of what is safe, known an comfortable. If you want zero self doubt go sit on the couch and do nothing with your life.
- Have a conversation with your self doubt without judgment.Before you begin, clear all tension from your body by going for a walk, meditating or practicing some deep breathing exercises. Be present for yourself. Listen to your fears and understand your concerns. Heed the warnings and wisdom from your subconscious rather than being reckless or careless. Self doubt is your voice of reason making sure you’ve thought through your game plan thoroughly. Doubt is a gift. It allows you to stop and ask questions to make sure you’ve found the best way forward. It is fine to negotiate with self doubt once you’ve listened. It doesn’t have to stop you. Here’s an example of how this conversation might play out.Self doubt: “I think you’re being unrealistic about this crazy idea”.You: “Yeah you’re probably right…I’ll settle down a bit and spend more time getting this right…Thanks” OrYou: “Na, I reckon it’s going to be Ok. I hear what you are saying, but I’m comfortable to take a risk on this one. There is no failure only feedback”
- Don’t take things so personally and stop taking yourself so seriously.The future of the planet is not dependant on you. Yes you are special and unique, but the world will keep turning without you. It is not all about you. You are a merely a channel of abundance. 95% of the things you are worried about are not true and will never happen. Most people like you and are cheering you on. Give yourself more room for playfulness, curiosity and adventure. If you are always under massive pressure to get everything right all the time, doubt and fear will cripple you.
- When in a place of doubt work from the known to the unknown.Come back to the things that you know are true (to the best of your understanding) and then move into solving questions about the things you don’t know. When self doubt takes over, it can feel like everything is uncertain in your life. Yet, this is actually never true. Reminding yourself of what you do know helps you be more relaxed about what you don’t know.
- We crave certainty in an incredibly uncertain world.Ultimately the only way to find real certainty is to embrace uncertainty and back yourself. Continuing to affirm that you are a clever, creative and resourceful individual, who has all they need to succeed already is a crucial part of building this internal sense of certainty. Self doubt has far less room to crowd your mind, when you are operating from a place of internal certainty.
About our Guest Blogger:
Jaemin Frazer is one of the world’s best change agents. He is a highly effective personal coach with a unique way of applying powerful coaching principles to everyday life. Through his book, the breakthrough 30 Day coaching program, and the transformational coach training programs, Jaemin is devoted to enabling people to develop themselves and make the changes that are most important to them.
Jaemin is a highly recognised & well respected personal coach who has been praised by both colleagues and clients. He brings an energetic and inspiring outlook to life, and is sure to encourage anyone who comes in contact with him. He has a Bachelor of Theology & Post Graduate Certificate in Leadership from the University of Sydney as well as a Diploma of Life Coaching from the Coaching Institute.
Jaemin is also known as the ‘One Minute Coach’ and is featured on radio stations all over Australia.