Social Media Marketing – More than a Popularity Contest
- March 22, 2016
- Posted by: Sarah Ford
- Category: Marketing Ideas, Small business, Social Media Marketing
Sometimes we make Social Media Marketing so much harder than it needs to be. What started as a way to stalk people stay in touch with friends has become a potential minefield for businesses & brands. You know what? It doesn’t have to be that hard!
The reason businesses use social media is to create awareness, reach new people, connect with them in a way that is engaging, and encouraging them to try – or buy your products.
With over 2 billion images shared via social media every day globally, it’s more important than ever to get your social media marketing right… otherwise you’ll simply disappear in the crowd.
Here are our 6 TOP TIPS for getting the most out of SOCIAL MEDIA for your BUSINESS:
- Start by articulating your objectives.What do you want to achieve: reach new people, engage with current and potential new customers, build loyalty? Ensure that your profile includes a short spiel which clearly captures who you are and what you offer, include a quality pic, link to your website if appropriate and a call to action (call today, buy now, discount etc) to encourage people to follow up on what they’ve seen or read. Instead of chasing likes, be strategic about who you target: is it complimentary businesses? Local influencers? Media commentators? Or a specific demographic? Once you’re up and running, set your time frame & budget. Yes – budget. Organic reach (new people seeing your posts from friends & family sharing and commenting) has been significantly reduced with changes to algorithms. Increasingly you’ll need to spend money to ‘boost’ your posts to make sure your content is seen, even by your current followers.
- Decide which platform is best for you.While there is some overlap, each of these channels play different roles… Instagram, Pinterest & Flickr are all about telling stories via images, Linked In is great for professional networking and YouTube & snapchat are all about video content. Understand the different roles and appeal of each media & tailor content by site to build your brand’s story. Here’s a snapshot of how many people were using each social media platform in Feb 2016 –as a rule of thumb more established sites tend to have a broader user base while younger people tend to be first on newer platforms such as Snapchat.
- Pictures tell a thousand words– posts across all social media which include images are more impactful, more clicked on and more often shared than words alone. In 2016 video is increasingly important and we anticipate this will continue as Snapchat gains momentum and more people share video (vs pics) on Instagram, Twitter and Linked In.
- As you create or refine your social media, consider how you want to position your business(creative, premium, niche, everyday), define your creative style in line with that vision & stick with it! Use images that are meaningful to your followers, relevant to your business or brand or aligned with your purpose or point of view. As in life, people are looking for IDEAS, inspiration, confidence, seeking to find a path forward or businesses and people with common ideals. Be brave: you’ll be rewarded for trying something new and different, just make sure your imagery is consistent and builds to tell a visual story.
- Listen. Respond. Like. Follow. Comment. Share. Recommend.Be online when your customers are, be an active part of the community and target who you want to engage with & reach – from complimentary local businesses to influential people, popular sites, inspiration and potential new clients, it pays to be strategic. Set a clear strategy for converting likes to sales and leverage interest and popularity into tangible sales.
- Give yourself the best chance of success.Make sure that everyone who creates content or manages your site is aligned to your objectives and understands your business. Schedule posts for when they’ll have the most impact… or use an app that allows you to schedule posts in advance. Get to know each platform, what people like and what works.
Don’t know where to start? Let us develop and implement a social media strategy for your business so you can focus on what you do best!
With our unique blend of big-brand experience and small business nouse you can trust us to deliver fantastic, cost effective results for your marketing projects, big or small. Contact today for a free initial discussion. We’ll even shout you a coffee!